Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pets and pesticides

So as I was looking at my pets recently and thinking about how I need to flea-treat them pretty soon, i started thinking about the products i use to flea treat. we have done a lot of work as a family to eliminate toxins from our lives. we garden organically, we no longer use chemicals in our house, I buy organic, non-toxic sunscreen, and i even make sure the cups we drink out of are safe non-leaching plastic, glass or metal. I've gotten rid of all cookware that contains aluminum or teflon. We don't use commerical shampoos or laundry soap. We wont use deet or chemical bug repellent. Not only do I worry about the effects these kinds of things would have on our family's health, but I worry about the way they are produced, the by-products of their making, and the packaging they use, and the impact all of these things have on the environment.
And yet, i was not hesitant to buy a very potent toxic flea-killer to place directly on my pet's skin. A chemical that is absorbed in their body, and then released through their pores for over a month. What effect does this have on my pets? or my children as they lay on them, or ingest their hairs? How are these chemicals produced? I'm sure the answers to these questions are disturbing.
I found an article that scared the crap out of me:
http://www.apnm.org/publications/resources/fleachemfin.pdf
and made me think that I might not want to use these products any longer. I'm now on the hunt for non-toxic alternatives that actually work.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics