Thursday, July 12, 2007

Breaking news! Fast food = really cheap, gross crap!

This may not be a surprise to some of you, but it was to me. Today I committed a simple-living sin and decided to eat fast-food. From the drive-through. Bless me father, for I have sinned. Its been my entire life since I last confessed. I partook of the environment-killing fast food industry. My penance is to eat nothing but organic brown rice and broccoli for 3 days, after which time I must sacrifice a small plastic item made in China.
Ok, so it was Burgerville. For those of you outside the pacific NW, its a smallish fast-food chain that prides itself on being of a higher quality than the Mcdonald's and burger kings out there. It uses local ingredients, wherever possible, which is pretty commendable. For example, they use only Oregon and Washington animal products, and local in-season fruits and veggies. Their food comes packaged in all-recyclable, unbleached looking stuff. I'm not saying they are part of the solution, by any stretch, but they are way better than Mcdonald's.
Anyway, I have eaten there before, and i SWEAR it wasn't that bad. Today it was so nasty, I was kind of amazed. How do they stay in business? I got the gardenburger black bean burger because its vegan, as opposed to the regular gardenburger. I got the local, walla-walla (Washington) onion rings. And a raspberry lemonaid (with actual local whole raspberries right in there). sounds pretty decent, eh? the burger bun looked like somebody sat on it prior to microwaving it or however they made it limp and yet also somewhat crunchy. the lettuce was basically cooked right onto the patty. the tomato looked very, very sad indeed. Although the onion rings and lemonaid were pretty good, I was forced to ask myself how on earth this sad-little microwaved-tasting thing cost $10 and change? Do people know that fast food is very expensive? Because I kind of thought that the whole point was that it was cheap? Maybe i'm missing something?
I'm sure you are all (yes, all 3 of you) wondering why I would assume a vegan burger from Burgerville would taste good. I guess I have high expectations. Actually, no, i just had AN expectation, and it was terribly misguided. How sad for me and my limp, limp, elephant-trodden burger. Its a frugal/simple living mistake I won't be repeating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh i had the SAME exact reaction that you did on my first visit to burgerville. as in "people pay THIS MUCH for this crap?" so gross.
by the way, this is holidayatsea from vrf-- your advice was so awesome, and really inspired me to give this vegan thing a real go. i'm going to check out those links you put on your latest blog, to strengthen my resolve. :)

 
Clicky Web Analytics