Saturday, November 22, 2008

The holidays


I guess "The Holidays" are upon us, because I have started hearing things about "are you done with your shopping?" and seeing the decorations.

I know it gives some people great joy and pleasure to engage in all the holiday business, and this isn't really directed at them, this is for the rest of us. To me, when I think about "The Holidays" a few keywords come to mind: obligation, stress, consumption, waste. It isn't about being a freaky hippy, it truly gives me no pleasure to think about getting a gift for everyone in my family.

First of all, I'm terribly un-creative about this sort of thing. Secondly, we never have the money. Even if we only spent $20 per immediate family member, that's like $500. We have a pretty big "immediate" family. Thirdly, it all just makes me feel guilty. I'm sure that is not what this event is supposed to be all about. I hate shopping, and almost never buy anything that isn't food. When I do, its at Goodwill. But if I tell everyone we aren't getting them stuff, or not to get us anything, I don't feel like I'm just being true to myself, I feel like I'm being a jerk. Or a "scrooge" or whatever. Fourthly, all the stuff about consumption, waste, and cheap plastic crap from China.

This year, I do have a little bit more time (and money) than last year, so the idea of making things for people is a bit more realistic. But again, I'm not very creative and the idea of trying to make something for people makes me break out in a cold sweat. The only thing I know how to do is knit, and I've been working on one sweater for 12 years (seriously!) It would probably take me at least 40 hours to make a hat, and so there is no way for me to knit something for everyone.

I'm going to *TRY* as hard as I can to come up with some easy ideas of things to do for other people that are simple and genuine. I will *TRY* to do one of these things for each of the families we should feel obligated to do something for. I'd like this to come from a spirit of really just wanting to do something nice for the people we care about. If it doesn't, if it feels like a huge chore or obligation, I'm not going to do it. I just can't.

Anyway, here are my ideas:
*Bake goods for people
*Make christmas orniments for family
*Take nice pictures of the kids and frame them
*some kind of class or experience
*uh...

See?! I told you I'm not very creative! I'm going to add to this list as I think of things...If you have any great ideas, please let me know!!


oh, and don't forget. Next friday is Buy Nothing Day!!

1 comment:

Emily said...

A few ideas:

Biscotti is really easy to make but seems "classier" (you know what I mean) than cookies, plus you don't have to decorate it. Here's a good recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Vegan-Almond-Biscotti-32416

Hats knit up pretty quick, esp. if you use big needles and bulky yarn. Who doesn't need a winter hat? They are unisex and you can even use cheap/silly yarn. This is a pretty good basic/flexible pattern:

http://www.johnnysstew.com/pattern/basichat.html

For adults/boozehounds (your brother?), you can make infused liquor or homemade liqueur. It takes like 15 minutes and it's not expensive, depending on what ingredients you use. There are a zillion recipes online for really fancy/exotic sounding stuff that I'm sure would impress anyone who likes drinking. I'm making homemade kahlua for my brother-in-law, which everyone says is 9 million times better than the storebought kind. It's going to cost like $15, including the vodka, becaues you don't have to use the good stuff. There are also a lot of great recipes out there for making homemade spiced/mulled wine (for grown-ups who might be less enthusiastic about the hard stuff).

Hope this helps ...

 
Clicky Web Analytics